- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 300g extra-lean beef mince
- 1 large brown onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 large carrot, grated
- 1 large zucchini, grated
- 1 celery stalk, trimmed, finely chopped
- 200g broccoli, trimmed, finely chopped
- 2 x 400g cans diced tomatoes
- 400g can brown lentils, drained, rinsed
- 500g spaghetti
- fresh oregano leaves, to serve
- Step 1Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add mince, onion and garlic. Cook, stirring with a wooden spoon to break up mince, for 5 to 6 minutes or until browned. Add carrot, zucchini, celery and broccoli. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add tomato. Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer for 15 minutes, adding lentils for the last 5 minutes of cooking, or until sauce has thickened.
- Step 2Meanwhile, cook pasta in a large saucepan of boiling, salted water, following packet directions, until tender. Drain. Reserve 300g cooked pasta for the Spaghetti, pancetta and tomato frittata (see related recipe). Add remaining pasta to mince mixture. Toss to coat. Divide between bowls. Top with oregano leaves. Serve.
Cut reserved cooked pasta into 8cm lengths. Place in a bowl. Toss with 1 teaspoon olive oil to prevent it sticking together. Refrigerate, covered, until ready to use.
- Author: Liz Macri
- Image credit: Ben Dearnley
- Publication: Super Food Ideas