- Olive oil spray
- 1 sheet (25 x 25cm) frozen puff pastry, just thawed, quartered
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 zucchini, trimmed, coarsely grated
- 1 Lebanese eggplant, trimmed, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled, coarsely grated
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 500g beef mince
- 1 x 420g can diced tomatoes
- 90g (1/3 cup) tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon water
- 65g (3/4 cup) coarsely grated reduced-fat cheddar
- Step 1Preheat oven to 200°C. Spray a large baking tray with oil. Bake the pastry for 15 minutes or until puffed and golden.
- Step 2Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook the zucchini, eggplant, carrot and garlic, stirring, for 5 minutes or until soft. Increase heat to high. Add mince. Cook, stirring with a wooden spoon to break up any lumps, for 3 minutes or until the mince changes colour. Stir in the tomato, tomato paste and water. Bring to the boil. Simmer for 5 minutes or until the mixture thickens.
- Step 3Split each pastry square. Divide the mince mixture among the pastry bases. Top with the cheddar. Bake for 3 minutes or until the cheddar melts. Top with the remaining pastry.
- Low carb
- Low sugar
- Lower gi
With a twist: Cheesy spiral pasta: Omit pastry. Cook 350g spiral pasta following packet directions. Divide among serving bowls and top with the mince mixture. Sprinkle with the cheddar.
- Author: Emma Braz
- Image credit: Rob Palmer
- Publication: Australian Good Taste