2176 kj Energy
37g Fat Total
18g Saturated Fat
17g Carbs (total)
Bean and beetroot mushroom burgersPrint Recipe
- 400g can red kidney beans, rinsed, drained
- 2 teaspoons Mexican spice seasoning
- 2 green shallots, finely chopped
- 1 egg, lightly whisked
- 1 small beetroot, peeled, coarsely grated
- 8 large field mushrooms, stalks removed
- 250g fresh buffalo mozzarella (see notes)
- 20g salad leaves
- Sour cream, to serve
- 1 avocado, sliced
- Fresh coriander leaves, to serve
- Step 1Place the beans in a large bowl and roughly mash. Add seasoning, shallots, egg and beetroot. Season. Stir until just combined. Divide the mixture into 4 patties.
- Step 2Heat a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Spray with oil. Place the patties in the pan and roughly flatten. Cook for 2-3 minutes, each side, or until golden and heated through.
- Step 3Meanwhile, preheat the grill. Place mushrooms on a grill tray and spray with oil. Cook under the grill, stalk side down, for 1-2 minutes or until lightly golden. Turn and cook the other side for 30 seconds. Add cheese to 4 of the mushrooms and cook for a further 1-2 minutes or until the cheese is golden and bubbling. Transfer to serving plates.
- Step 4Top the cheese-filled mushrooms with the salad leaves, a patty, sour cream, reserved tomato, sliced avocado and coriander. Top with remaining mushrooms.
Use fresh buffalo mozzarella, marinated in oil with semi-dried tomatoes and bay leaves, drained, tomatoes reserved
Get ahead: You can make the patties up to 1 day in advance. Reheat in the microwave until heated through.
- Author: Kerrie Ray
- Image credit: Guy Bailey
- Publication: Taste Magazine