- Melted butter, to grease
- 375g shortcut bacon rashers, thinly sliced
- 1 x 420g can corn kernels, drained
- 10 sheets filo pastry
- 100g butter, melted
- 6 eggs, lightly whisked
- 250ml (1 cup) thickened cream
- 40g (1/2 cup) coarsely grated cheddar
- 4 shallots, ends trimmed, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup shredded fresh basil
- Step 1Preheat oven to 180°C. Invert the base of a round 22cm (base measurement) springform pan and secure it back into the pan. Grease with melted butter.
- Step 2Heat a large non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Cook the bacon, stirring, for 5 minutes or until light golden. Stir in the corn and set aside to cool slightly.
- Step 3Meanwhile, place the filo sheets on a clean surface. Cover with a dry tea towel then a damp tea towel. Brush 1 filo sheet with the melted butter. Fold in half crossways and place over the base and side of the pan. Repeat with the remaining filo sheets, overlapping, to cover the pan completely.
- Step 4Whisk the egg and cream in a large bowl. Stir in the bacon mixture, cheddar, shallot and basil. Season with pepper. Pour into the prepared pan. Place the pan on a baking tray. Bake in oven for 1 hour or until the filling is just set. Set aside in the pan for 4 hours to cool.
- Low carb
- Low sugar
- Lower gi
Cook’s tip: To prevent the filo from drying out, it’s important to cover it with a dry tea towel then a damp tea towel in step 3.
- Author: Michelle Southan
- Image credit: Rob Palmer
- Publication: Australian Good Taste