- 1.5kg chicken wings, cut into pieces
- 5 litres water
- 1 leek, halved, washed, sliced
- 1 unpeeled onion, cut into quarters
- 3 unpeeled carrots, chopped
- 2 sticks celery, chopped
- 1 bouquet garni (see note)
- Step 1Wash chicken pieces. Place into a large heavy-based saucepan. Pour over water. Bring to the boil, uncovered, over medium heat. Using a slotted spoon, skim off and discard any residue that forms on surface.
- Step 2Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes, skimming surface every 10 minutes.
- Step 3Reduce heat to low. Add vegetables and bouquet garni. Cook, uncovered, for 2 hours. Turn heat off. Stand for 1 hour to cool (don’t move or stir the stock).
- Step 4Line a sieve with muslin. Place over a large heatproof bowl or jug. Ladle stock into sieve. Discard vegetables and bouquet garni. Set aside to cool. Refrigerate overnight. Use a metal spoon to remove and discard fat from top of stock. Store in airtight containers in the fridge for up to 1 week or freeze for up to 3 months.
Look for bouquet garni in the herb and spice section of your supermarket.
- Author: Dixie Elliott
- Image credit: Luke Burgess
- Publication: Super Food Ideas