- 120g butter, chopped
- 3 strips lemon rind
- 3 sprigs fresh lemon thyme
- 1 garlic clove, bruised
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 6kg fresh turkey or thawed frozen turkey
- 875ml (3 1/2 cups) Massel salt reduced chicken style liquid stock
- 40g (1/4 cup) plain flour
- 60ml (1/4 cup) brandy
- 80g (1/4 cup) jellied cranberry sauce
- 100g (2/3 cup) dried cranberries
- 1 tablespoon brandy
- 40g butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 brown onions, finely chopped
- 100g prosciutto, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage (see note)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon thyme leaves
- 160g (2 1/4 cups) fresh sourdough breadcrumbs
- 285g (1 1/2 cups) cooked pearl barley
- 75g (1/2 cup) hazelnuts, toasted, coarsely chopped
- 1 egg, lightly whisked
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon rind
- Step 1To make the stuffing, combine the cranberries and brandy in a bowl. Heat butter and oil in a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Stir in the onion for 10 minutes or until soft and golden. Stir in the prosciutto for 5 minutes. Stir in cranberry mixture, sage and thyme for 3 minutes or until aromatic. Transfer to a large bowl. Set aside for 15 minutes to cool. Stir in the breadcrumbs, barley, hazelnuts, egg and lemon rind. Season.
- Step 2Preheat oven to 180°C. Stir the butter, lemon rind, lemon thyme and garlic in a small saucepan over medium heat for 3-4 minutes or until combined. Stir in the lemon juice. Season. Set aside for 10 minutes to cool slightly.
- Step 3Remove excess fat, giblets and neck from turkey. Wipe inside and out with paper towel. Lift the flap of skin at the top of the breast and fill with stuffing. Pour 2 tablespoons butter mixture into cavity. Loosely fill with remaining stuffing. Tie legs together. Tuck wings under. Place on a rack in a deep roasting pan. Brush with some of remaining butter mixture. Pour 2 cups stock into the base of the roasting pan. Cover turkey with baking paper, then cover pan tightly with foil. Roast, brushing once with some of the remaining butter mixture, for 2 hours.
- Step 4Uncover. Brush with some of the remaining butter mixture. Roast, brushing twice with remaining butter mixture, for 1 hour 15 minutes or until golden and the juices run clear when thickest part of thigh is pierced with a skewer. Transfer to a platter. Cover with foil. Set aside for 30 minutes to rest.
- Step 5Pour juices from the roasting pan into a jug. Discard fat from surface, reserving 60ml (1/4 cup). Return reserved fat to the pan over medium-high heat. Add flour. Cook, stirring, for 1-2 minutes or until it bubbles. Remove from heat. Gradually whisk in brandy, remaining stock and pan juices. Stir over medium-high heat until gravy boils. Stir in cranberry sauce. Boil, stirring, for 5-7 minutes or until gravy thickens slightly. Serve with turkey.
- Low carb
- Lower gi
If fresh sage is unavailable, use fresh continental parsley.
- Author: Katrina Woodman
- Image credit: Jeremy Simons
- Publication: Australian Good Taste