- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 red onions, halved, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 12 chipolata sausages
- 12 small dinner rolls, split
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 12 flat-leaf parsley sprigs
- Step 1Heat oil in a frypan over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, for 10-12 minutes until softened and browned. Increase heat to high, add balsamic and stir over high heat for 2-3 minutes to caramelise. Transfer to a bowl, season well, then cool. The caramelised onion will keep, covered in the fridge, for up to 5 days.
- Step 2Cook sausages on a barbecue preheated to medium for 8-10 minutes, turning until browned and cooked through. (Or preheat oven to 180C and cook for 15-20 minutes on an oiled baking tray). Allow to cool.
- Step 3To serve, lightly pack each dinner roll with caramelised onion. Add sausage, top with mustard and tuck in a sprig of parsley.
- Author: Jill Dupleix
- Image credit: Ben Dearnley
- Publication: Taste.com.au