- 2126 kj Energy
- 23g Fat Total
- 6g Saturated Fat
- 52g Protein
- 1211.28mg Sodium
- 20g Carbs (sugar)
- 20g Carbs (total)
Barbecued chilli and sesame beef with red cabbage slawPrint Recipe
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 teaspoons sambal oelek (see note)
- 1/4 cup (60ml) soy sauce
- 1/4 cup (55g) caster sugar
- 1/4 cup (60ml) white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 (about 800g) thick boneless beef sirloin steaks, fat trimmed, thinly sliced
- 1/4 (about 300g) red cabbage, thinly sliced
- 3 green onions, trimmed, thinly sliced
- 3 red radishes, cut into matchsticks
- Steamed white rice, to serve
Preheat barbecue on high. Place sesame seeds in small frying pan over low heat and cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until toasted. Transfer seeds and garlic to a mortar and pound with a pestle until smooth. Add the sambal oelek, soy sauce, sugar, vinegar and oil, and stir to combine.
Place beef slices in a medium bowl and stir through 1/4 cup of the sesame mixture. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside.
Combine cabbage, green onion, radish and half of remaining dressing in a bowl.
Cook beef on barbecue for 1 minute each side or until browned and just cooked. Toss steak in remaining dressing.
Divide the cabbage mixture among serving dishes. Top with beef and serve immediately with steamed rice, if desired.
Sambal oelek is a chilli paste found in the Asian section of supermarkets.
Author: Cynthia Black
Image credit: Ben Dearnley