- 500g lean beef mince
- 3 green onions, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 small carrot, peeled, grated
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/4 cup Masterfoods BBQ Sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 50g salad leaves
- 1 large tomato, thinly sliced
- 1 Lebanese cucumber, thinly sliced
- 4 white bread rolls, split, toasted
- Barbecue sauce, to serve
- Step 1Combine mince, onion, garlic, carrot, egg yolk and sauce in a large bowl.
- Step 2Shape mixture into four 2cm-thick patties. Place on a plate. Cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Step 3Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add patties. Cook for 4 to 5 minutes each side or until cooked through.
- Step 4Place salad leaves, tomato and cucumber on roll bases. Top with patties, sauce and roll tops. Serve.
- Low carb
- Lower gi
Variations: Pork and apple patties: Peel and grate 1 granny smith apple into a bowl. Squeeze out excess liquid. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat. Cook apple and 1 finely chopped brown onion for 3 to 4 minutes or until onion has softened. Cool completely. Transfer to a bowl. Add 500g lean pork mince and 1 tablespoon wholegrain mustard. Using hands, mix to combine. Season with salt and pepper. Follow recipe from step 2.
Mediterranean patties: Combine 500g lean lamb mince, 2 crushed garlic cloves, 1 teaspoon dried mixed herbs, 1/4 cup pitted kalamata olives, finely chopped and 1/2 cup finely grated parmesan cheese in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Follow recipe from step 2.
Storage tips: To freeze: Make patties to end of step 2. Place in an airtight container or wrap single patties in plastic wrap and place in a snap-lock bag. Freeze for up to 1 month.
To thaw: Thaw in fridge overnight.
To cook: Complete recipe. Season with salt and pepper.
- Author: Vanessa Horton
- Image credit: Ben Dearnley
- Publication: Super Food Ideas