- 2 Lebanese cucumbers, thinly sliced lengthways into strips
- 200g cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 2 purple Asian eschalots (see note), thinly sliced lengthways
- 1 lemongrass stem, pale section only, thinly sliced diagonally
- 1 bunch mint, leaves picked
- 1 bunch coriander, leaves picked
- 1 Chinese barbecue duck (see note), chopped
- 2 kaffir lime leaves, finely shredded
Chilli & capsicum jam
- 2 red capsicums, quartered, seeded
- 4 purple Asian eschalots (see note), finely chopped
- 1 ripe tomato, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon finely grated fresh ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tablespoons coconut vinegar (see note)
- 1/2 cup (80g) finely chopped palm sugar
- 1/4 cup (60ml) lime juice
- 4 long fresh red chillies, seeded, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- Step 1For the chilli and capsicum jam: preheat grill on high. Cook capsicums, skin-side up, under grill for 8-10 minutes or until charred and blistered. Transfer to a heatproof bowl, cover with foil and set aside for 5 minutes (this helps lift the skin). Peel and finely chop flesh.
- Step 2Combine capsicum, eschalot, tomato, ginger, garlic and vinegar in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes or until eschalot softens. Add palm sugar, lime juice and chilli and cook, stirring occasionally, for a further 15 minutes or until thick and syrupy. Add fish sauce and stir to combine. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- Step 3Combine the cucumber, tomato, eschalot, lemongrass, mint and coriander in a large bowl. Add 2 tablespoons of chilli and capsicum jam and gently toss until just combined. Place on a serving platter. Top with duck and drizzle with extra chilli and capsicum jam. Sprinkle with shredded kaffir lime leaves to serve.
- Low carb
- Lower gi
Purple Asian eschalots are available from Asian grocery stores. Substitute golden eschalots or red onion. Barbecue duck is available from Chinese barbecue shops and restaurants. Coconut vinegar is available from Asian grocery stores.
- Author: Sarah Hobbs
- Image credit: Andrew Lehmann
- Publication: Notebook: