- 125g butter, softened
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 eggs
- 3 large bananas, mashed (see note)
- 3/4 cup plain flour
- 3/4 cup self-raising flour
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- Reduced-fat spread, to serve
- Step 1Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fan-forced. Grease two 5cm-deep, 6.5cm x 12.5cm (base) loaf pans.
- Step 2Using an electric mixer, beat butter, sugar and maple syrup in a bowl until light and fluffy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating after each addition until just combined.
- Step 3Transfer butter mixture to a large bowl. Add banana. Stir with a wooden spoon until just combined. Sift flours and bicarbonate of soda over butter mixture. Stir until just combined.
- Step 4Spoon mixture into prepared pans. Smooth top. Bake for 35 minutes or until a skewer inserted in centre of loaves comes out clean. Stand in pans for 5 minutes. Turn onto a wire rack to cool. Serve warm or toasted with spread.
Frezzing tip: To freeze: Wrap each cooled loaf in plastic wrap, then foil. Alternatively, cut each loaf into eight 1.5cm-thick slices. Wrap each slice in plastic wrap, then foil. Freeze for up to 2 months.
To thaw: Thaw in fridge overnight. You’ll need 1 cup mashed banana.
- Author: Nadia French
- Image credit: Mark O'Meara
- Publication: Super Food Ideas