- 1 red capsicum, seeds removed and copped into large pieces
- 1 large eggplant, cut into 3 cm cubes
- 3 zucchini, trimmed and chopped roughly
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 bocconcini, drained
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 Spanish onions, cut into wedges
- store-bought pesto, to serve
- Step 1Place the eggplant cubes in a colander and sprinkle with salt. Allow to stand for 5 minutes, then rinse under cold water and drain well. Place the eggplant in a large bowl with capsicum, zucchini and onions. Toss with oil, vinegar, garlic, salt and pepper, and set aside for 5 minutes.
- Step 2Heat a barbecue hot plate or grill to medium heat. Oil the surface well and add the vegetables. Cook, tossing regularly with a barbecue spatula, for 7-8 minutes or until vegetables are tender and slightly charred.
- Step 3Slice the bocconcini into rounds. Remove the vegetables from the barbecue and place on a serving plate. Top with bocconcini and a dollop of pesto. Serve on its own or with meat, poultry or fish.
- Low carb
- Low kilojoule
- Low sodium
- Low sugar
- Lower gi
Bocconcini are balls of fresh baby mozzarella. They are available at delicatessens or supermarkets. Check the deli counter or chilled section where packaged cheeses are sold.
- Author: Kate Murdoch
- Image credit: Luke Burgess
- Publication: Taste.com.au