- 2 red onions, halved, cut into thick wedges
- 600g sweet potato (kumara), peeled, cut into 3cm pieces
- 4 tomatoes, halved
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 (about 620g) chicken thigh fillets
- 240g can chickpeas, rinsed, drained
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh continental parsley
- Step 1Preheat oven to 220ºC. Combine the onion, sweet potato, tomato, garlic and half the oil in a bowl. Transfer to large baking tray. Bake for 15 minutes.
- Step 2Meanwhile, heat remaining oil in a large frying pan. Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Cook for 1-2 minutes each side or until golden.
- Step 3Add the chicken to the tray and bake for a further 10 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. Add chickpeas and parsley. Toss until heated through.
- Diabetes friendly
- Low carb
- Low sodium
- Lower gi
With a twist: Baked lamb and pumpkin: Omit the chickpeas. Swap sweet potato for pumpkin and chicken for lamb chops. Serve with natural yoghurt.
Sausage and bean potato bake: Replace sweet potato with small potatoes, halved. Replace chicken with Italian sausages. Replace chickpeas with canned cannellini beans.
- Author: Kathy Knudsen
- Image credit: Ben Dearnley
- Publication: Australian Good Taste