- 800g sweet potatoes (kumara), peeled, coarsely chopped
- 60ml (1/4 cup) milk
- 20g butter
- 3 rindless bacon rashers
- 12 beef chipolata sausages
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 150g button mushrooms
- 120g cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 cup fresh sage leaves
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Step 1Cook the sweet potato in a large saucepan of boiling water for 10 minutes or until tender. Drain. Return to the pan. Use a potato masher to mash until smooth. Stir in the milk and butter. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
- Step 2Meanwhile, cut each bacon rasher into four 2cm-wide strips. Wrap 1 strip of bacon around each sausage and secure with a toothpick. Preheat grill on high. Place the sausages on a large baking tray and cook under grill, turning occasionally, for 10 minutes or until golden and cooked through.
- Step 3While the sausages are cooking, heat oil in a large non-stick frying pan over high heat. Add the mushrooms. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes or until soft. Add the tomatoes and sage, and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until the tomatoes start to soften. Add the vinegar and cook for 1 minute or until the vegetables are tender and the liquid has reduced slightly. Taste and season with salt and pepper. Divide the mash and tomato mixture among serving plates. Top mash with sausages to serve.
- Low carb
- Lower gi
With a twist: Chicken with basil & potato mash: Replace the sweet potatoes with washed potatoes. Replace the beef chipolata sausages with 4 chicken breast fillets. Add 2 tbs chopped fresh basil to the mash in step 1 and stir to combine. Wrap 3 bacon strips around each chicken breast fillet in step 2.
- Author: Cynthia Black
- Image credit: Ben Dearnley
- Publication: Australian Good Taste