Golden corn fritters are given a flavour boost with asparagus, chives and cheese.
- 1 1/2 cups self-raising flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 1 bunch asparagus, trimmed, roughly chopped
- 310g can sweet corn kernels, drained
- 1 bunch chives, chopped
- 50g snow pea sprouts, roughly chopped
- 120g green peppercorn vintage cheese (see note), grated
- Olive oil cooking spray
- Sour cream, to serve
- Sweet chilli sauce, to serve
- Rocket leaves, to serve
- Step 1Preheat barbecue plate on medium heat. Sift flour and baking powder into a large bowl. Make a well in the centre. Add egg and milk. Whisk until batter is smooth.
- Step 2Fold asparagus, corn, chives, snow pea sprouts and cheese into batter. Season with salt and pepper.
- Step 3Spray barbecue plate with oil. Using 1 heaped tablespoon batter per fritter, spoon batter onto plate, spreading each fritter to 10cm in diameter (leave enough room between each so they don’t stick together). Barbecue fritters, in batches, for 3 to 4 minutes each side or until firm to touch. Serve with sour cream, sweet chilli sauce and rocket leaves.
All nutrition values are per serve
It’s best to use a good, strong, bitey cheese for this recipe.
- Author: Kerrie Butler
- Image credit: Louise Lister
- Publication: Super Food Ideas
Leave a Reply