- Melted butter, to grease
- 2 sheets (25 x 25cm) frozen shortcrust pastry, just thawed
- 2 bunches asparagus, woody ends trimmed
- 80g soft blue cheese, thinly sliced
- 6 eggs
- 125ml (1/2 cup) milk
- Step 1Preheat oven to 200ºC. Brush a 2cm-deep, 25cm (base measurement) round fluted tart tin, with removable base, with melted butter. Arrange the pastry sheets, slightly overlapping, on a clean work surface. Roll the edges together to seal. Line the prepared tin with pastry. Trim excess.
- Step 2Line the pastry base with non-stick baking paper and fill with pastry weights or rice. Place on a baking tray. Bake for 10 minutes. Remove the paper and pastry weights or rice. Set aside for 30 minutes to cool.
- Step 3Meanwhile, cut each asparagus spear into thirds. Place in a heatproof bowl and cover with boiling water. Set aside for 2-3 minutes or until bright green and tender crisp. Refresh under cold running water. Drain. Pat dry with paper towel.
- Step 4Arrange the asparagus and blue cheese over the pastry base. Whisk eggs and milk in a jug. Season with salt and pepper. Pour over the pastry base. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until just set. Set aside in the pan for 10 minutes to stand before serving.
- Low carb
- Low kilojoule
- Low sugar
- Lower gi
All nutrition values are per serve
- Author: Kerrie Ray
- Image credit: Jeremy Simons
- Publication: Australian Good Taste