- 1.6kg whole fresh chicken
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 (about 120g each) spicy chorizo, halved lengthways, thinly sliced
- 1 large red capsicum, halved, deseeded, coarsely chopped
- 1 red onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- Large pinch of saffron threads
- 2 teaspoons sweet paprika
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 125ml (1/2 cup) white wine
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 1 x 425g can diced tomatoes
- 295g (1 1/3 cups) arborio rice
- 625ml (2 1/2 cups) Massel chicken style liquid stock
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh continental parsley
- Step 1Preheat oven to 200°C. Rinse chicken cavity, inside and out, under cold running water. Pat dry with paper towel. Place the chicken, breast-side down, on a clean work surface. Use poultry shears or sharp kitchen scissors to cut along either side of the backbone. Discard the backbone. Cut the breast in half, along the breastbone. Use a sharp knife to cut around the legs, between the thigh and the breast. Cut the drumsticks from the thighs. Remove the wings from the breasts and cut the breasts in half diagonally to make 10 chicken pieces.
- Step 2Heat the oil in a 2.5L (10-cup) capacity flameproof, ovenproof casserole dish over medium heat. Add half the chicken pieces and cook for 4 minutes each side or until golden. Transfer to a plate. Repeat with the remaining chicken pieces.
- Step 3Add the chorizo, capsicum, onion and garlic to the dish. Cook, stirring often, for 10 minutes or until the chorizo is brown. Stir in the saffron, paprika and oregano.
- Step 4Add the wine and sherry and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until the wine reduces by half. Return the chicken to the dish. Add the tomato, rice and stock, and stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and bake in oven, stirring halfway through, for 40 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside for 10 minutes to rest.
- Step 5Divide among serving dishes and sprinkle with the parsley. Serve.
- Low carb
- Lower gi
All nutrition values are per serve
- Author: Alison Adams
- Image credit: Mark O'Meara & Chris Chen
- Publication: Australian Good Taste