- 65g butter, softened
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup self-raising flour, sifted
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 small granny smith apple, cored, thinly sliced
- 10g butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon Masterfoods Ground Cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons caster sugar
- Step 1Pre-heat oven to 180°C/160°C fan-forced. Grease a 4.5cm deep, 20cm round cake pan. Line base and side with baking paper.
- Step 2Using an electric mixer, beat butter, sugar, egg and vanilla together for 2 minutes or until combined. Stir in half the flour, then half the milk. Repeat with remaining flour and milk. Spoon mixture into prepared pan. Level top. Arrange apple slices on top.
- Step 3Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Stand in pan for 5 minutes. Turn, top-side up, onto a wire rack.
- Step 4Make topping: Combine cinnamon and sugar in a bowl. Brush hot cake with butter. Sprinkle with cinnamon mixture. Cool. Serve.
- Low kilojoule
- Low sodium
- Lower gi
Cover the cake loosely with foil during the cooking if over-browning.
The cake is best made on the day it’s served. Serve warm or cold.
You can serve the cake with pure cream, double cream, warmed custard or vanilla yoghurt.
- Author: Kim Coverdale
- Image credit: Mark O'Meara
- Publication: Super Food Ideas