- 1 cup self-raising flour
- 3/4 cup plain flour
- 1/2 cup traditional rolled oats
- 1/4 cup caster sugar
- 60g butter, melted, cooled
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 2 green apples, peeled, grated
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Step 1Preheat oven to 190°C/170°C fan-forced. Line a 12 hole, 1/3 cup-capacity muffin pan with paper cases.
- Step 2Combine flours, oats and sugar in a large bowl. Make a well in the centre. Add butter, buttermilk, egg and vanilla. Mix until just combined. Fold in apple.
- Step 3Spoon mixture evenly between paper cases. Combine brown sugar and cinnamon in a bowl. Sprinkle over muffins. Bake for 20 to 22 minutes or until golden and just firm to touch. Stand in pan for 5 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool. Serve.
- Low kilojoule
- Low sodium
- Lower gi
Here’s a tip: Don’t overmix muffin batter as your muffins will come out tough.
- Author: Kirrily La Rosa
- Image credit: Andrew Young
- Publication: Super Food Ideas