- 1 1/4 cups self-raising flour
- 1/2 cup hazelnut meal
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 70g butter, chilled, chopped
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 small royal gala apples, unpeeled, cored, halved
- 1 tablespoon dry-roasted hazelnuts, roughly chopped
- Extra 10g butter, melted
- Extra 1 teaspoon dark brown sugar
- Step 1Preheat oven to 180C/160C fan-forced. Grease a 9cm-deep, 9cm x 19cm (base) loaf pan. Line base and sides with baking paper, extending paper 3cm above edge of pan at long ends.
- Step 2Combine flour, hazelnut meal, sugar and cinnamon in a bowl. Rub in chilled butter until mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Make a well. Stir in egg and milk until just combined.
- Step 3Thinly slice 1 apple (you will need 15 slices). Grate remaining apple. Stir grated apple and chopped hazelnuts into cake batter. Spoon into pan. Level top with a spatula. Arrange apple slices, skin-side down, pushing slightly into the batter.
- Step 4Drizzle melted butter over apple slices. Sprinkle with extra sugar. Bake for 50 minutes or until a skewer inserted in centre comes out clean. Stand in pan for 5 minutes. Turn, top-side up, onto a wire rack to cool. Serve loaf warm or cold.
All nutrition values are per serve
- Author: Lucy Nunes
- Image credit: Jeremy Simons
- Publication: Super Food Ideas