- 125g butter, melted, cooled
- 3/4 cup caster sugar
- 1 1/2 cups self-raising flour
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 400g can pie apple, chopped
- 2 tablespoons flaked almonds
- 1 1/2 tablespoons vanilla custard powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoons caster sugar
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup plain flour
- 1/3 cup self-raising flour
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 80g butter, chilled, chopped
- Step 1Make Custard: Combine custard powder and sugar in a small saucepan. Gradually stir in milk until smooth and combined. Place over medium-high heat. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until mixture just starts to boil and thickens. Remove from heat. Transfer to a heatproof bowl. Cover surface with plastic wrap. Cool. Refrigerate for 1 hour or until cold.
- Step 2Meanwhile, make Streusel: Using a food processor, process flours, sugar and cinnamon together. Add butter. Process until mixture comes together and forms a dough. Wrap in plastic wrap. Freeze for 1 hour.
- Step 3Preheat oven to 180C/160C fan-forced. Grease a 20cm x 30cm lamington pan. Line base and sides with baking paper, extending paper 3cm above edges of pan.
- Step 4Place butter, sugar, flour and egg in a bowl. Stir well to combine. Press mixture over base of prepared pan. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until golden. Cool completely.
- Step 5Drain apple on paper towel. Pat dry. Spread custard over prepared base. Sprinkle with apple. Remove streusel from plastic. Coarsely grate over slice. Sprinkle with almonds. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden. Cool in pan. Serve cut into bars.
Storage tip: Store slice in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- Author: Kim Coverdale
- Image credit: Craig Wall
- Publication: Super Food Ideas