- 375g fettuccine
- 25g butter
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 300ml thickened cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1/3 cup finely grated parmesan cheese or vegetarian hard cheese
- Step 1Cook pasta in a saucepan of boiling salted water, following packet directions until tender. Drain, reserving 1/4 cup liquid.
- Step 2Melt butter in a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Add garlic. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until fragrant.
- Step 3Stir in cream. Bring to a gentle boil. Reduce heat to low. Simmer for 3 to 4 minutes or until sauce slightly thickens. Add parsley, parmesan, pasta and reserved cooking liquid. Season with salt and pepper. Toss to combine. Serve.
Cook pasta in a large lightweight pot as it transmits heat quickly and is lighter, making it easier to carry when filled with water. Use at least 3 litres of water so the pasta can move around while cooking or it becomes sticky. Check packet directions of dried pasta for cooking times and remember that fresh pasta cooks more quickly than dried pasta – usually in half the time.
1) Mushroom, ham and peas: Add 125g leg ham, chopped, with garlic in step 2. Add 1 cup frozen peas to sauce for the last 2 minutes of simmer time.
2) Smoked salmon: Add 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon rind and 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill with cream in step 3. Add 100g sliced smoked salmon to sauce for the last 2 minutes of simmer time.
- Author: Claire Brookman
- Image credit: Andrew Young
- Publication: Super Food Ideas